BREAKING: 22-Year-Old Boko Haram Commander Sentenced To 60 Years Imprisonment

The Federal High Court in Wawa Cantonment, Kainji, Niger State, on Tuesday sentenced a commander of the Boko Haram terrorist group, Abba Umar, to 60 years imprisonment for various acts of terrorism.

The 22-year-old, who was remorseless and maintained a hard look throughout the proceedings, confirmed  that he would return to Sambisa Forest to continue the terrorism acts if he was ever released.

He had been in detention since 2014 after his failed suicide mission to a school in Gombe State that year.

Two of the five counts preferred against him attracted death penalty but the judge said he decided to impose lesser sentences after taking into consideration the age of the convict and the fact that he must have been exposed to “excessive and consistent religious indoctrination” which made him to be easily pliable.

The judge added, “For count 3, I sentence him to 60 years imprisonment.

Abba Umar, after he was sentenced to 60 years imprisonment on Tuesday.

“I would have been more merciful but was rather dissuaded by the convict’s insistence that he would back the activities which constitute danger to the society and for which he was apprehended.”

Umar was 18 when he was arrested after his failed attempt suicide mission to  Gombe Secondary School, Gombe State, in 2014.

During the trial on Tuesday, Umar  confirmed that 17 pictures tendered by the prosecution as exhibits showing him, the car and the IEDs used for the failed operation, to be true and authentic.
While testifying earlier on Tuesday, the convict who said he married two wives in Sambisa Forest after joining the sect, described himself as “an Islamic warrior, and a commander in the Islamic army”.
The convict who spoke in Hausa and his testimony interpreted in English during the proceedings, confirmed that as a commander in the Boko Haram sect, he had over 100 lieutenants under him.

Advertisements

Missing N36m: Shehu Sani storms JAMB HQ with snake charmers

  • …presents snake repellent chemicals to JAMB

The Senator representing Kaduna Central Senatorial District, Shehu Sani, on Tuesday stormed the headquarters of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board in Bwari, Federal Capital Territory, with snake charmers.

The senator also seized the opportunity to present JAMB with snake repellent chemicals.

Sani said the visit was to enable stakeholders to get to the bottom of the issues surrounding the reported case of missing N36m from the JAMB office in Makurdi, Benue State.

One Philomena Chieshe, a sales clerk in the JAMB office, Makurdi, told JAMB registrar and his team that she could not account for the N36m she made in previous years before the abolition of scratch cards.

“In the course of interrogation, Philomena denied the allegations that she stole the money, but confessed that her housemaid connived with another JAMB staff to spiritually (through a snake) steal the money from the vault in the account office,” the report said.

Sani said his visit to JAMB was in response to the story that a snake swallowed N36m.

He lamented that it was of concern that such a huge sum of money was reported to have been swallowed by a snake.

“I believe that the contribution I can make is to bring snake charmers from my constituency to the JAMB office and to help them fish out the snake and weed out snakes from their premises.”

Sani further said that if a snake could actually swallow N36m, one day, Nigerians might wake up to say that a snake had swallowed the country’s foreign reserve.

“Even if it is a spiritual matter, we believe that these people I brought are some of the best snake charmers in the country and they will help in arresting both physical and spiritual snakes if there has been any in the JAMB office.”

READ ALSO: EFCC pledges to deal with money-swallowing snake

He explained that it was very clear the incident did not happen during the tenure of the JAMB Registrar, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede.

“We are very proud of him. We believe he is someone who should continue to run this agency.

“It is good for Nigerians to know this is what happened before he came into office. I believe the best thing we can do is to continue to support him.

“It is time Nigerians knew that there may be other dirty things happening in other places, but this place has exposed it for us. We know the truth and I’m very happy about that.”

Responding, the Spokesperson for JAMB, Mr. Fabian Benjamin, explained that on assumption of duty, the incumbent registrar, Oloyede, discovered that there were loopholes in the sale of scratch cards.

“We discovered a lot of loopholes. The registrar thereafter introduced PIN vending.

“After introducing the PIN vending, it was natural for him to call for an audit of the former use of scratch cards.

“After taking stock, it was discovered that in some offices, they could not account for what they sold.

“Ms Philomena Chieshe was entrusted with a number of scratch cards which she sold, but N36m could not be accounted for.

“When asked, she actually said she sold them at the said amount, and kept the money in the public vault. According to her, a snake swallowed the money.”

Benjamin further explained that in the spirit of transparency, inclusiveness, and openness, the agency felt that Nigerians should know what was happening.

He said Chieshe had been queried and has also appeared before a disciplinary committee.

“A report has been put together and sent to the Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu. As soon as that report is approved, she will be disciplined and handed over to the appropriate security agency for proper profiling.”

Lord! is Solomon Simon Yayock alive?

MAY THE WILL OF THE LORD BE DONE IN YOUR LIFE

Solomon Simon Yayock! We have not seen or heard about your whereabouts Four years now (from the chilly evening of 20th December, 2013). We are sorrowful and asking questions. Oh God! Where is Solomon? Where is Simon? Can we see him again? help us please, wipe away our tears and expose those who were involved directly or indirectly in making his disappearance possible.

From December 20, 2013, you have not been seen alive or dead – Wherever you may be now, alive or not; one thing is certain, God will surely unravel the mystery behind your disappearance from us one day because nothing hidden that will not be brought to the open.

May the will of God prevail in your situation in the name of Jesus. To those who planned and succeeded in snatching you away from your family, their season of mourning is just by the corner and I pray they repent to save their souls and those of their families lest it be too late for them. Amen.

WHAT IF SOMEONE SHOTS YOU WITH A GUN? WILL YOU FORGIVE?

Some of us may carry bitterness into the year 2018 due pettiness. You will complain that person hurt you by spreading false rumours about you and shot invincible arrows into your heart by disappointing you, cheating on you or hurting your feelings. What if the person had spread live bullets at you with gun shots and you survived, will you forgive or try revenge? The first attempted assassination of Pope John Paul II took place on Wednesday, 13 May 1981, in St. Peter’s Square at Vatican City. The Pope was shot and wounded by Mehmet Ali Ağca while he was entering the square. The Pope was struck four times, and suffered severe blood loss. Ağca was apprehended immediately, and later sentenced to life in prison by an Italian court. Following the shooting, Pope John Paul II asked people to “PRAY FOR MY BROTHER [AĞCA] … WHOM I HAVE SINCERELY FORGIVEN.” In 1983, he and Ağca met and spoke privately at Rome’s Rebibbia Prison, where Ağca was being held. The Pope was also in touch with Ağca’s family over the years, meeting his mother in 1987 and his brother, Muezzin Agca, a decade later. Ağca developed a friendship with the pontiff. In early February 2005, during the Pope’s illness, Ağca sent a letter to the Pope wishing him well. He was pardoned by Italian president Carlo Azeglio Ciampi at the Pope’s request and was deported to Turkey in June 2000. Lewis B. Smedes says… “To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you”.

Courtesy:-
https://www.facebook.com/timothy.ofoegbu?hc_ref=ARQDTkSYe1c5g5Wqi6Tf90B9jrNB0mSjb5diICd1zDvLqSY1lPEF24_t9C6ORuiIT-c&fref=nf

Trump’s recognition of Jerusalem as Israel capital sparks West Bank clashes

UN security council to meet to discuss US decision amid widespread international condemnation and violence in occupied territories

Play Video
 ‘What approach is this?’: world leaders rebuke Trump over Jerusalem decision – video report 

Clashes between Palestinian protesters and Israeli troops have taken place in cities across the occupied West Bank as anger over Donald Trump’s recognition of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital spilled on to the streets.

The most violent confrontations occurred in Ramallah, Bethlehem and Hebron, where Israeli security forces fired teargas and plastic-coated rounds as hundreds of protesters threw stones and set alight barricades.

In the Gaza Strip, dozens of protesters gathered near the border fence with Israeland threw rocks at soldiers on the other side. Two protesters were wounded by live fire, with one reported to be in a critical condition.

A fresh round of violent protests are expected on Friday at mass demonstrations called to follow Friday prayers.

A Palestinian protester takes cover during clashes with Israeli troops in Beit El, near Ramallah.
Pinterest
 A Palestinian protester takes cover during clashes with Israeli troops in Beit El, near Ramallah. Photograph: Mohamad Torokman/Reuters

The confrontations took place as a meeting of the UN security council was called for Friday to discuss Trump’s decision, condemnation of which continues to mount across the Middle East and internationally.

Eight countries on the 15-member council requested the meeting, including the UK, Italy and France, amid claims from Palestine and Turkey that recognition by the US president is in breach of both international law and UN resolutions.

The EU foreign policy chief, Federica Mogherini, said the bloc had a united position that Jerusalem must be the capital of both Israel and a future Palestinian state. France said it rejected the “unilateral” US decision while the UK prime minister, Theresa May, and the foreign secretary, Boris Johnson, both described Trump’s announcement as “unhelpful”.

The Russian foreign ministry said US recognition risked “dangerous and uncontrollable consequences”.

Israel’s prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, hailed US recognition of Jerusalem as “historic” and claimed other countries were in contact about following Trump’s lead, but was alone among regional leaders in praising the move.

Saudi Arabia’s royal court called it “unjustified and irresponsible” in a rare rebuke of the US, and the Turkish president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, said Trump had thrown the Middle East into a “ring of fire”.

Thursday’s confrontations on the West Bank took place during a widely observed general strike that shuttered Palestinian shops and closed schools. The presence of Palestinian police in plain clothes and armed security forces in uniform nearby, however, suggested a degree of control by the Palestinian president, Mahmoud Abbas.

The scale of the protests and level of violence, however, noticeably fell short of similar clashes at the height of the second intifada.

At one large confrontation in Ramallah, a group of three teenage girls, their faces masked with headscarves, told reporters that “Trump could go to hell.”

In Jerusalem’s Old City, where most Palestinian shops were shut, Salah Zuhikeh, 55, told AFP: “By this decision, America became a very small country, like any small country in the world, like Micronesia. America was a great country for us and everyone.”

The US president defied overwhelming global opposition by recognising Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and directing the state department to start making arrangements to move the US embassy from Tel Aviv.

“While previous presidents have made this a major campaign promise, they failed to deliver. Today, I am delivering,” he said in a short speech at the White House on Wednesday. “My announcement today marks the beginning of a new approach to the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians.”

Play Video
 ‘It is time to officially recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel,’ says Trump – video

It later emerged, in a memo leaked to Reuters news agency, that the US had privately asked Israel to temper its response to the announcemen

The state department document, dated 6 December, stated in talking points for diplomats at the US embassy in Tel Aviv to convey to Israeli officials: “While I recognise that you will publicly welcome this news, I ask that you restrain your official response.”

It continued: “We expect there to be resistance to this news in the Middle East and around the world. We are still judging the impact this decision will have on US facilities and personnel overseas.”

A second state department memo seen by Reuters asked European officials to argue that Trump’s decision did not prejudge the “final status” issue of Jerusalem’s sovereignty, which needed to be resolved in any peace agreement between Israel and Palestine.

“You are in a key position to influence international reaction to this announcement and we are asking you to amplify the reality that Jerusalem is still a final status issue between Israelis and Palestinians and that the parties must resolve the dimensions of Israel’s sovereignty in Jerusalem during their negotiations,” it said.

“You know that this is a unique administration. It makes bold moves. But it is bold moves that are going to be needed if peace efforts are finally going to be successful.”

Details of the memos emerged as the Palestinian president, Mahmoud Abbas, was due to travel to Jordan on Thursday for talks with King Abdullah II, who has come out strongly against the move.

The United Arab Emirates and Iraq also condemned the decision. In Iraq, a prominent militia backed by Iran, Harakat Hezbollah al-Nujaba, said Trump’s decision could be a “legitimate reason” to attack US forces in the country.

Jerusalem is home to sites holy to the Muslim, Jewish and Christian faiths. Israel deems Jerusalem its eternal and indivisible capital dating to antiquity, and its status is one of the thorniest barriers to a lasting Israeli-Palestinian peace.

Its eastern side was captured by Israel in a 1967 war and annexed in a move not recognised internationally. Palestinians claim East Jerusalem for the capital of a future independent state.

BREAKING: Court refuses pleas, sends Maryam Sanda back to prisons

Maryam’s mom, Maimuna Aliyu now a co-accused in amended charge

BREAKING: Court refuses pleas, sends Maryam Sanda back to prisons

A FCT High Court in Jabi has refused the oral application for bail made on behalf of Maryam Sanda and ordered her returned to prisons pending her re-arraignment next Thursday.

The FCT Police Command in a two-count charge accused Maryam, the daughter of a former Executive Director of Aso Savings and Loans, Hajiya Maimuna Aliyu Sanda, of killing her husband, Bilyamin Bello, the son of Alhaji Bello Halliru Muhammad, a former chairman of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP).
They alleged that Maryam had caused the death of Bello “by stabbing him on the chest with a broken bottle which eventually led to his death and you did with the knowledge that your act is likely to cause his death.”
Upon her arraignment on November 24, the court had ordered that she be remanded in prisons after she pleaded not guilty to the charge levied against her.
However, at the resumed hearing today, police Prosecutor, CSP James Idachaba informed the court an amended charge has been filed before the court where Maryam’s mother, Maimuna Aliyu has been added as defendant together with two others.
He however said all efforts to serve the charge on Maimuna and the others have proved abortive.
He asked the court to adjourned the matter to Thursday, December 14 to enable the Police bring all the defendants to court so they can take their pleas together.
After this, Maryam’s new lawyer, Chief Joseph Daudu (SAN), a former President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA),  asked the court to listen to the bail application filed on Maryam’s behalf.
However, Idachaba urged the court to also adjourn the bail application to December 14 after new pleas must have been taken.
The trial judge, Justice Yusuf Halilu ruled in favour of the Prosecutor and said the bail would be taken after the re-arraignment.
Again, Daudu pleaded with the judge, this time orally, to release Maryam on bail pending the Thursday.
He said the prisons conditions is unwholesome for Maryam’s six-months old baby.
“It is unfortunate that a life has been lost already, but we should not take more lives,” the senior lawyer pleaded.
However, after another objection by the police Prosecutor, Justice Halilu held that he is not disposed to grant the oral bail application since issues have been joined on the formal application for bail.
“The defendant in the main time shall be returned to the prisons pending Thursday, December 14,” the judge held.
Earlier, the judge had ordered that Maryam’s daughter in the custody of a relative be taken out of court after the baby’s persistent crying.
The baby continued crying outside the court room throughout the court proceedings.
Daily Trust observed that the court room was filled to capacity with as many more people standing both inside and outside the court room.