PRAYER FOR NIGERIA IN DISTRESS
You are a God of justice love and peace,
You rule over all the nations of the earth,
Power and might are in your hands and no one can withstand you,
We present our country Nigeria before you,
We praise and thank you for you are the source of all we have and are,
We are sorry for all the sins we have committed and for the good deeds we have failed to do.
In your loving forgiveness keep us safe from the punishment we deserve.
Lord we are weighed down not only by uncertainties but also by moral, economic and political problems. Listen to the cries of Your people who confidently turn to You.
God of infinite goodness, our strength in adversity, our health in weakness, our comfort in sorrow
Be merciful to us your people; spare this nation Nigeria from chaos, anarchy and doom.
Bless us with your kingdom of justice, love and peace.
We ask this through Jesus Christ our Lord.
PRAYER POINTS FOR NIGERIA
THANKSGIVING FOR NIGERIA
- Thank God that despite all the predictions and prophecies of doom and gloom we had peaceful elections and a new government.
- Thank God for disappointing those who wished that Nigeria would be a failed state. God frustrated all their plans, plots and designs against Nigeria.
- Thank God for the smooth and peaceful transition to a new government.
- Thank God that world leaders and nations are beginning to change their attitude towards Nigeria.
PRAYER FOR THE GOVERNMENT
- Pray that this administration will govern with wisdom and discretion.
- Pray that God will help the government to establish and strengthen systems that will tackle corruption in Nigeria.
- Pray that there will be understanding and cooperation between the president and his vice to provide purposeful leadership to Nigerians.
- Pray that the Vice President, Prof Osinbajo, would be like Joseph in the courts of Pharaoh. Pray that he will continue to find favour before God and men, especially President Buhari.
- Pray that Osinbajo would not be intimidated but will be bold to defend the church.
- Pray that God will grant sound health and mind to our leaders, especially President Buhari.
- Pray that the president will lead with justice and fairness. Pray and hold him by his word that he belongs to all.
- Ask God to frustrate any plans by special interest groups to wrongly influence the president.
- Pray that the president will focus on governance and not the promotion of Islam and his tribe.
- Pray that the fight against corruption will be thorough and that there will be no sacred cows or deliberate witch-hunt of political opponents.
- Pray for harmonious working relationship between the different arms of government – executive, legislature and judiciary.
- Pray that only the right people will scale through the screening exercise by the senate. Ask that the ministers will be men and women of proven character and vision to transform our nation.
PRAYER FOR THE CHURCH
- Let’s pray that God will expose and diminish the influence of false prophets and all those who subvert the purposes of God for the church in Nigeria.
- Let’s pray that the church in Nigeria will be awakened and embrace her missionary calling to the nations of the world.
- Let’s ask that God will provide the resources and that Christian leaders will judiciously apply them for the work of the kingdom.
- Let’s pray that God will uncover and frustrate any plans by the new government to hinder the church from fulfilling her ministry.
- Pray that church leaders will not be intimidated but will speak out boldly about the issues in our nation.
- Pray against deception and false doctrines that are rampant in some churches.
- Pray that God will stir up the heart of church leaders to be relentless in their pursuit of revival for the land.
- Pray that God will open the eyes of this government and cause them to see the persecution of Christians in the North. Pray that churches that were destroyed would be rebuilt and that the promises made to those who suffered losses will be honoured.
PRAYER FOR THE NATION
- The menace of Fulani Cattle herdsmen all over the country has been a recurring issue. They use violence to take over peoples’ land, destroy the crops of farmers with impunity and now they have resorted to kidnapping people. Pray that the government will take a drastic action to stop their menace.
- A deadline has been set for our military to wipe out the Boko Haram terrorists. Pray that the military will be able to achieve this.
- Pray that the openness of the Western nations to the present administration will continue.
PRAYER FOR THE ECONOMY
- Pray that this government will find need and work towards diversifying our economy. That the government will pay attention to agriculture, mining, tourism and intellectual property etc.
- Pray that the leakages in the economy through corruption, especially the oil industry, customs and the banking industry, will be plugged.
- Pray that God will break the international network that connive with dubious Nigerians to sabotage our economy.
- Pray against capital flight and unethical practices by expatriates and foreign business owners. Pray that this government will pay attention to the oppression of Nigerian workers by foreigners.
- Pray for favour upon the nation so that we shall continue to be a prime country for Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in Africa.
- Thank God for the continuous success of our military in the fight against insurgency.
- Pray that the military leaders will have wisdom and the government will provide the necessary ammunition they need to successfully execute their plans.
- Pray that the plan to create a corridor in the north east so that the IDPs can return will be successfully implemented (note that most of the internally displaced persons are Christian minorities in the north east).
- Pray that God will strengthen the international collaboration to wipe out Boko Haram and global Islamic insurgency will gain momentum.
- Pray that God will expose those who support and shield members of Boko Haram.
- Pray that God will open the eyes of President Buhari and all those in government to do something about the rampage of the Fulani herdsmen. Pray that God will stir up the hearts of Nigerians against their menace.
- Pray that God will continue to expose and frustrate the attempts to islamise Nigeria.
- Pray that this government will manage the Niger Delta situation well so that militancy does not return to that area.